Educational, sociable and energising!
Participating in a music workshop – whether you’re a beginner or an expert – is an exhilarating experience. You learn something new, you engage in non-verbal team work and you can feel satisfaction in making a great sound!
Georgie Pope, musician and workshop leader
Workshop coordinator Georgie Pope lives to make and share music. She attended a pre-school music group led by her mother from the age of two, studied classical, folk and Colombian harp from the age of seven and has gone on to travel the world using her instrument and voice to make musical connections ever since. Her many live performances include appearances at the Rajasthan International Folk Festival, Jodhpur, the Jaipur Literature Festival Main Stage, The Glastonbury Festival, UK and NH7 Weekender, Bangalore. She takes groups on musical tours of India, meeting and interacting with Indian musicians, and has led and facilitated workshops for all ages and abilities in the UK and India.
Sound Travels workshops are tailor-made to suit a group’s needs. A one-hour school’s workshop typically takes the following format:
- Introduction to rhythms – keeping time, inventing rhythms, holding rhythms
- Making instruments – hands, knees dal-pot shakers and Bisleri drums: Sound Travels musicians learn that everything can be an instrument!
- Singing harmonies – learning a ‘round’ is a great way to start learning to sing multiple parts
- Rap – we introduce a spoken, rhythmic vocal element to the composition
- Mini concert – we retrieve our instruments, add it to the song and see what happens!
Sound Travels is passionate about connecting young Indian musicians with the wealth of music in their country. We also create interactions, workshops and trips to villages which allow young people to meet exceptional musicians from around the country, try out their instruments and be inspired by their dedication and talent.
For more information, or to tailor-make a workshop for your school, business or family, email email@example.com or call